12 September 2009

The Legacy That IS Justine Henin

(This blog appears in my Friendster blog, tabula rasa undone ... my not so explored passion, more than a year ago. I wrote this 6 weeks after Justine Henin decided to hang her racket for good. I thought of re-posting this blog here because there have been talks of Justine possibly going back to professional tennis. She is now a UNICEF goodwill ambassador and her face will become the face of the UNICEF tetanus campaign this fall.)

http://cristyjones.blog.friendster.com/


1, July 2008

The Legacy That Is Justine Henin
Filed under: Allez! — cristyjones @ 10:13 pm

No one can hit that backhand, one-handed, to perfection. No one, that is, except JUSTINE HENIN. She upped the women’s pro game several notches and she showed what a diminutive player like her can do. She said goodbye to the professional world of women’s tennis though, two weeks before the start of the grand slam one can likely say she owns (winning it four times, three times in a row) - the French Open. She hangs up her racket while leading the tour with the rest of the players way, way behind her in points, in charisma, in elegance.

Sure it’s hard to imagine tennis without her. Being her supporter way back near the turn of the 21st century, it sure is difficult to follow the game knowing that I cannot see poetry in motion in the tennis courts any more. Perhaps it’s that passion and determination to conquer and be the best that convey to me when I first saw her on TV in a tennis match way back in 1999. She just debuted as a professional tennis player during that time and the years that followed sure were exciting years. I can still remember the newspaper cutouts that I had of Justine and that of Marcelo Rios, Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, and yes, Marina Navratilova. Yes, I’m one of those who have been following the sport, and a few athletes, way back since I was in highschool. I so enjoyed those moments I spent with Papa watching a tennis game on TV. And boy, tennis, like any sport, has so much improved since then. And then came Justine and my interest in the sport (although I don’t play it - volleyball’s the game that I play - I can talk a lot about volleyball and then some) reached new heights. Wow! The things that she does on court and off evidently inspired not only me but thousands.

And then she retires. Oh well.

I have been waiting for more news that would really give more weight to the reason she gave when she decided to quit being a professional tennis player. She said then that the fire just died but I wasn’t that convinced - then. Now, I realized that I need not look any further for reasons because Justine is little by little living her reasons. A few moments ago, I watched the interview that she gave to the Laureus Awards Academy organization (she’s the Laureus Sportswoman of the Year, a very prestigious awarding body that is the Oscars of sports) and it was a very enlightening interview. Of course, she now focuses much of her time in her tennis academies, to her foundation: the 20 Hearts of Justine Foundation, she is also realizing another promise she gave her mother: to finish high school the moment she hangs up her racket. I salute her before; I salute her even more now.

Yes, we won’t be seeing her pick up her racket and go back to competitive tennis any time soon (though I still hope that she will) but we sure will be hearing about these more meaningful things she’s doing and will be doing in her life after tennis. Justine is giving back more now than ever. And of course, she will still breathe tennis, and engaging yet others to go beyond borders. Justine continues to do her part to make this world a better place. This is her legacy. Allez!

For the Laureus interview, please visit this site: http://www.laureus.com/laureustv/justinehenin

For articles about Justine, please visit this site: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article4244175.ece

For more about Justine Henin, please visit her website: www.justine-henin.be/

I assure you, you’ll be entertained. Even more, you’ll be inspired.


French Open title #3 (she won a total of 4 French Open titles)

photo.php.jpg



Olympic Gold Medalist - Women's Singles Tennis, Sydney 2004

photo.php.jpg



2008 Laureus Sportswoman of the Year Awardee

photo.php.jpg



She's diminutive and feisty and she's mentally tough. One of the most mentally-tough players ever.




the famous one-handed backhand

photo.php.jpg




Poetry in motion. Described by John Mc Enroe as the only player with the most beautiful one-handed backhand

in the history of tennis. This holds true even to this day.



(All photos courtesy of www.justine-henin.be/)

No comments:

Post a Comment